Thursday, April 05, 2007

Chacarita Cemetary



Thursday 5 April 2007

Ryan and I finally visited the Chacarita cemetary, the other fancy graveyard in Buenos Aires.
It isn't quite so touristy, and there aren't so many famous people. (Except for Juan Peron. We couldn't find him, though.) Just really rich people.

My favorite tomb, I think, was a great big white crypt that looked like a church. It had a sign that showed that it was dedicated to "The Glories of the Boca Juniors," the most popular futbol team. I guess a few players were buried inside.

This photo demonstrates just how big these places are. They have streets! With signs! There was also a gallery where people's ashes were kept in drawers along the wall - it stretched all around the cemetery, two or three stories, I don't know, maybe a kilometer. That's a lot of dead people.

No comments: