Sunday, March 23, 2008

Cuy!


Sunday 23 March 2008
(Happy Easter, everyone!) Ryan and I attended a gastronomic festival today, and finally tried a Peruvian delicacy that I've been really curious about - cuy. A small rodent otherwise known as guinea pig (yes, the same kind you had as a pet), it is a very common meat here as the animals don't take up much space, live off of kitchen scraps, and breed quickly, making it perfect livestock for many poor rural families. An added bonus, I found out today, is that it is tasty! I know, looking at it, you'd think it was kind-of dry, not much meat there, but oooooh no. It was tender, juicy, suculent, wonderful. A very unique flavor, and absolutely delicious!

6 comments:

♥Lau♥ said...

uuh that's creepy!! jaja nice blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! I couldn't handle that, you are one brave lady!
~Natalie

Anonymous said...

While many of your food entries have left my mouth watering, I can't say that this is a dish I'm enticed to want to try! I can hear 8-year-olds across America crying that you are going to steal their pets! Gotta hand it to ya, but I think I'd prefer that rich ice cream you posted a while back! ~~Aunt Martha

Anonymous said...

Been getting a lot of comments on this recently. Most give you a lot of credit trying this dish!!!
Glenn

Anonymous said...

that is totally gross! I agree with the others, brave but sick. Run pigs RUN!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

sorry, but that is just gross.