Sunday, March 08, 2009

Maggie's Wedding

Sunday 8 March 2009

Okay, so today's post really breaks the picture-a-day rule, as I have twelve pictures for today. Ryan and I attended our boss's wedding tonight, and I wanted to show you the food. Now, this was a really fancy wedding, but even not such richy-rich ones will have some fancy dishes. Traditionally, a Taiwanese wedding has 10 courses, but this one had 12.


1 - Some kind of lobster potato salad, with honeydew melon thrown in for good measure.


2 - Shrimp, crab and needle mushroom soup. Pretty good.


3 - My favorite dish of the night. Squid and scallops with spices, over nice fresh veggies.


4 - Mmm, nice moist fish. A regular at nice Taiwanese dinners, and always enjoyable.


5 - Shrimp. What I really don't get is why they cook them in such delicious seasonings still in their shell. You peel them and there goes all the yummy stuff. Just have to lick your fingers, I guess.


6 - Sea cucumber with something meaty. Eh.


7 - Crab sticky rice.


8 - Lamb in a sweet sauce, and fried shrimpy things.


9 - Chicken soup. This is a standard at weddings, because chicken sounds like family in Taiwanese. The whole chicken is in there, in pieces.


10 - Desserty pastries. The one on the left was unidentified sweet, and the one on the right was red bean wrapped in sticky rice stuff.


11 - Sweet soup with tapioca balls, dates, and crinkly stuff. I know it looks gross, but this was absolutely delicious - I was so full by then, but I still ate three bowls of it.


12 - Fruit, which always tops off the evening.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Wow, that looks like quite a spread, and sounds like it was very tasty too!