Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Quilters' paradise



Tuesday 20 March 2007

I think I've mentioned before that I work in the garment district a little ways out of the city. An interesting thing happens every evening as I am heading home. All the stores put their clippings out onto the curbs (I think to be picked up by the garbage man?) making giant piles of cloth on all the corners. All different colors and textures and kinds of cloth, everything from jeans to silk to flannel to cotton in every shade of the rainbow.

Sometimes you see people sifting through them, although I'm not sure what for. They don't have any monetary value, or the whole pile would be gone if five minutes. I know I've taken a few pieces here and there to use for patches on bags and clothes, so maybe that's what they're doing too. But I like to imagine that they are quilters.

No comments: