Friday, July 13, 2007

Digits



Friday 13 July 2007

Today, as I was walking down the street, some guy (a rather greasy guy, I must say) came up to me, out of nowhere, to say that he'd love to take me to coffee sometime, and handed me this paper with his number and email. (I've whited it out so the poor guy doesn't have his info all over the internet.) Now, I don't mention this to brag or anything, because moves like this don't mean that a girl is particularly pretty, it really just means that she is noticeably female.

You see, Argentine men take the word "macho" to heart, and will give "piropos," or come-ons, to pretty much any female on the street between the ages of 15 and 70. Ninety-nine percent of the time, these are just rude comments about your ass, or the words "que linda sos" (you're so pretty) repeated over and over again. I get a lot about my eyes, because blue is pretty rare here.

I guess traditionally, a long time ago, these piropos were creative and funny. They often rhymed, and the point was to make the woman smile or laugh. It sounds like they took a lot of thought back then, and were kinda sweet. Not quite so crass as the yells and whistles and lude suggestions that fill the streets today.

So, while he definitely wins the prize for forwardness (oh wait, maybe that goes to the guy who grabbed my bum once), this guy was definitely much better than most!

No comments: