Friday, February 27, 2009

Cookie culture



Friday 27 February 2009

A week ago our manager announced that we were going to make cookies, so I took over the project to try and cut down on the . . . idiocy. It didn't work, they still found a few ways to ruin things, but that's beside the point.

We, the English teachers, had time to bake a few batches of cookies, then we handed the pot holders to the Chinese teachers, who did things a little differently. At the end of the day, I went to get some cookies for my kids, and I chose the ones we had baked - the soft, chewy ones with Nestle chocolate chips. But I had two different Chinese teachers tell me "Oh no, those ones are yucky, here take these," pointing to the burned ones with fake chocolate-flavored sprinkles on top. I asked about it, and I guess that is the Taiwanese ideal cookie - crispy, crunchy, and with over-sweetened fake chocolate on top. A very cultural difference, I guess.

No comments: