Monday, October 02, 2006

Big tree


Saturday 30 September 2006

In one of my Spanish textbooks I read an article about a Ukranian refugee living in Buenos Aires. She had been living here for twenty years or so, and mostly felt like a part of the community. One thing she mentioned, however, as a constant reminder that she was a foreigner, was the fact that she didn't know the names of the trees, or the birds.

And it's true - this is something I found while I was living in Taiwan, and, to a lesser extent, here as well. I would love to know what kind of tree this is, what to call it. There are trees this big, of various species, in many of the major plazas. They are like magical trees, giant fairy-tale trees. Look closely at the people sitting below it to get a better idea of just how big this tree really is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a bummer- You can't even go to your local library to look them up either. Maybe you should complain to the mayor.